Our Family

Photobucket

Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Painful Cheer

Today was one of those bittersweet days.  It started off good.  Like every Sunday we attended church but this Sunday we had to leave early.  One of our friend's son who is in 11th grade had a game at the Dome today.  For those of you who watch college basketball it was Syracuse NY's dome. We dropped Liam off with grandma and grandpa at their church and headed off to the game.  As the game started I was ready to cheer Jordan on and his team on.  The time came where we finally scored and like I do with all the SU basketball games I get fired up.  Well this time I got fired up and then immediately started bursting into tears.  My good day immediately turned into a bad one as the tears streamed from my face.  Normally I am able to stop the tears from coming but in this instant I was unable to.  Every parent has a dream or dreams for their children.  One of my dreams for Liam was playing basketball in hopes that he became good enough for the SU team or maybe even the NBA.  Today I was reminded again of that dream I once had to was shattered the day Liam was born.  In that moment I was telling myself "I will never be able to cheer my son on while he is playing basketball".  Now I know that every child will choose their own dream and that's ok but every parent has a dream whether or not it is fulfilled by their child.  Will Liam ever be able to play basketball?  Probably not, well atleast not "normal" basketball.  Most of the time I am ok with this but today it really hit me hard as I cheered the  Marcellus basketball team on.  I sat there without being able to stop the tears from coming so I had to go to the bathroom to get myself under control.  So being in the front row I had to hide my face as I walked up two full sections of bleachers.  After about 15 minutes I was finally able to be somewhat emotionally stable so I head back to the game thinking I was ok.......well I wasn't lol.  I started crying again.  I'm ok now but the thought of not being able to cheer my son on at a "normal" basketball game or any sport for that matter can be hard from time to time.  I am working on it and getting better at it.  I love my son and he amazes me whether he plays sports or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment